Registering your vehicle with DGT Tráfico – proof of address

Padron certificate the best way to prove your address at the DGT

If you’re buying a Spanish car or registering a foreign vehicle with the traffic authorities (DGT – Dirección General de Tráfico) in Spain you’ll need to provide proof of address.

Depending on your circumstances, there are three ways to meet this requirement:

Padrón Certificate – Certificado de empadronamiento  
By far the best way to prove your address is by getting a Padron Certificate. Make sure that the name on the Padron Certificate is the same as the person registering or buying the vehicle and that the Certificate is dated within 90 days (3 months).
You can even use the Padron Familiar (the one that lists all family members at the address) as long as the buyers name is listed.

Rental contract 
A legal rental contract is valid proof of address although the Padron Certificate is preferred. The rental contract MUST meet these requirements:

  • Have the name of whoever is buying or registering the vehicle (doesn’t matter if there’s more than one name) 
  • Be in Spanish (if contract is in English, you’ll need to supply a translation)
  • Be signed by the landlord and renters, be current and in date
  • Be a long term rental contract of over 6 months or more 

Property deeds
If you own a home in Spain, you can use the full property deeds, showing the interested party as owner or part owner of a property. This type of proof of address is mainly used by non-residents who are looking to register a vehicle to keep at their property. 

Good to know
If you are registering your vehicle with Upsticks then we’ll need you to send us a good quality scan of the relevant proof of address by email.

If you are registering your vehicle yourself directly with Tráfico, then you should take all original documents (and copies) with you to the appointment.

The information in this article was current on the date published.
Article last updated 10.08.2022

Share this page on social media