ETIAS – European Travel Information and Authorisation System

ETIAS – European Travel Information and Authorisation System

ETIAS – What is it and how it will affect travel to, from and within Europe?

Deadline approaching – if you’re a citizen of a country that currently doesn’t need a visa to visit the Schengen area, then be preapred for changes; soon you’ll need to apply for ETIAS travel authorisation to enter Europe.

Now scheduled to be fully operational in 2025, ETIAS is the European Travel Information and Authorisation System, an IT system aimed at improving the security and efficiency of travelling into and around the EU/Schengen area.

Which countries will require ETIAS for entry?
The ETIAS countries are the ones that will require travellers to have this travel pre-authorisation and comprise the EU Schengen States, as well as countries that are European Free Trade Association (EFTA) Members, European Microstates and Future Schengen Members.

Who will need ETIAS pre-travel authorisation?
All third country nationals travelling from visa-exempt countries to Europe for the purposes of tourism, business, or transit for 90 days stay in any 180-day period. Click here to check if you’ll need ETIAS.

How does it work?
The system is very similar to the ESTA visa-waiver registration for travellers to the USA and the recently introduced eTA for Canada.

  • Visit the ETIAS website (will be available on desktop, tablet or mobile) at least 96 hours before departure
  • Complete the application form online
  • Pay the fee of €7 (for ages between 18 and 70)
  • System makes rapid online checks against various EU information systems for borders and security
  • The ETIAS is issued within minutes (PDF via email) and you’re good to go
  • The authorisation lasts for 3 years (or until expiry date of passport) and can be used for multiple entries of less than 90 days
  • The ETIAS authorisation will be checked together with travel documents by carriers (airlines, ferries, bus/train operators) and border guards when crossing the EU border

GOOD TO KNOW – Get your TIE card now

If you have a residency card or residency status in an EU country, you will not need to apply for an ETIAS, but you will need to travel with proof of residency (TIE card) and a valid passport.

So if you haven’t exchanged those old green EU residency documents yet, now’s the time to bite the bullet and exchange to the TIE card Book a Call to find out how Upsticks can help.

ETIAS – European Travel Information and Authorisation System
Malaga Airport - Soon you will need ETIAS to come on Holiday

The information in this article was current on the date published.
Article last reviewed/updated 01.06.2024

Share this page on social media