Residency in Spain for Irish passport holders – all you need to know

residency for irish citizens in spain

Ireland is still in the European Union (EU), which means Freedom of Movement applies and the criteria for gaining Spanish residency are the same as they have always been – pretty straightforward.

If your parents or grandparents were born in Ireland, you could be eligible for Irish citizenship – meaning you can get an Irish (EU) passport. People born in Northern Ireland can choose either a British or Irish passport – or have both.

Even if you’re not thinking of applying for residency in Spain, an Irish passport (or any EU passport) means you will not be subject to the 90/180 days Schengen area travel restrictions.

Criteria for residency in Spain as an Irish passport holder

The requirements are the same as for any EU passport holder – proof of economic sustainability, healthcare and proof of where you are living.

Proof of income to support yourself and your family – you’ll need to prove “sufficient resources not to become a burden for social assistance in Spain during his period of residence”. There is actually no set figure for this, although the minimum amount required is based on a Spanish system known as IPREM. To prove you have enough money, you’ll need to evidence income or savings (or both) – here’s how you can prove income for a Spanish residency application

Proof of healthcare – either via the Spanish public health system if you are working or self-employed, full-cover private health insurance if not working and S1 coverage if retired – find out more in this article

Proof of where you live – a rental contract (6 months+) or Nota Simple if you own property, evidenced by a Padron Certificate naming everyone applying for residency. Many local councils are tightening up on Padron registrations, so it’s a good idea to check with your Town Hall what the requirements are for your area.

Beneficiaries – if a spouse and/or children up to the age of 21 are ‘beneficiaries’ of your income/healthcare for a residency application, you’ll need to prove the legitimacy of the relationship with Marriage Certificate/Birth Certificates. EU documents do not need an Apostille stamp and you can request a Multilingual Standard Form, so no need to pay for translations.

I registered my NIE with a UK passport but want residency using my Irish one – can you change?
Not a problem, but you may have some extra hoops to jump through at your appointment. Your NIE number is for life and doesn’t change, even if your nationality does. 

The application process

EU rules are that if you intend to live in Spain for more than 90 days, then you should register with the Immigration Authorities. Briefly, the process is:

  • Get your documents together, complete application form, pay taxes
  • Make an appointment with the National Police Foreigner’s Office
  • Go to appointment, present documents
  • If the application is approved, you’ll be issued with the green credit-card size “Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión”.

How Upsticks can help.
Upsticks are Spanish residency specialists, so let us take the stress out of the process – to find out more about how we can help, Book a Call on our website for a free consultation.

The information in this article was current on the date published.
Article last updated 10.08.2022

Share this page on social media